Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Slip Sliding Away

I did the view from my front window in the fall. Here it is in the winter.
So yesterday when I left for work we had about 3 inches of snow. The snow continued most of the day and our parking lot at the salon never did get cleared completely. I had to shovel a path into the parking lot for people to get out to their cars. When the plow came the snow was so wet and packed that it pushed snow boulders around. I had to go out a few times so I just got wet over and over again. It cleared up in the evening and CJ had all 10 inches cleared even though the snow-blower broke. (Lots of heavy snow, good for a strong 14-year old) Today we woke up to another 3 inches and snow packed roads. I left in good time and headed to work. I tested the roads a couple of times and slowed fine so I headed out onto South Weber Drive. The speed limit is 45 and I kept it around 40, I think. All of a sudden I realized I'm still going the same speed but not in the same direction. I was sliding out of control. I was going completely sideways down the center of the road where snow had not been plowed or packed and I was making a huge cloud of snow. I had noticed that there were no cars coming very soon in the on-coming lane for which I was very glad because I was heading that way. By the time I stopped I was past the opposite lane and off onto the shoulder going the other direction. I had spun a full 180 degrees. I just started up again and pulled a U in the middle of the road again. I noticed everyone going a little slower. I had made quite a scene and it convinced everyone that it was much slicker than it looked. For the next couple of miles I had to push down on my leg to keep it from shaking. Six hours later driving home there is not a bit of snow or slush on the road and I was looking forward to seeing my big side-ways snow plow tracks down the center lane. What a disappointment. All that drama for Naught. I Swear it happened. Later on the radio I heard the song "Slip Sliding Away". How appropriate.
It's not that cold so the snow continues to melt and there is not much left to shovel except in front of the mailbox. We didn't get mail today cause the mailbox area was not cleared and Daren's back couldn't do more. Another job for CJ!

4 comments:

Cloves said...

Oh my! I'm glad you are okay and your car could handle the snow. We haven't had any snow (or cold) since December. But it looks like it may be coming. My bulbs are coming up and will freeze. :(

Joni said...

We've seen snow falling all day but it has never really built up. We're obviously getting less than you.

Glad you're okay. That's scary.

Ronda said...

I am amazed that you came through it so well. It is stories such as yours that make me want to stay in the temperate climate with millions of the other pansies.

Sandra said...

Wow, that's scary. I've had a couple of less dramatic, but equally surprising incidents this year too.