Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Remedy

I learned something new and it was very timely. For the last year or so I quite often wake up with pain in my hips. Daren spent Friday with his parents and his mother told him that her physical therapist told her that because women have wider hips (there's a news flash for ya) when we sleep on our sides especially it puts more stress on our hips so he suggested sleeping with a pillow between our knees. I decided to try that so I grabbed the throw pillow off my bed. It's a little big and bulky and kind of got in the way but lo and behold I woke up painless for three mornings in a row. I decided the pillow had to change though. I found an old pillow form that had gone through the washer and was lumpy and unfit to be called a pillow. It should have been thrown away years ago. It was a little too big still so I cut it open, removed one third of the matted, twisted stuffing and folded the spare fabric over to tighten what was still in there and stitched it back up. Now it's just right for putting under my knees to relieve back stress or between my legs when I'm on my side. It takes a little getting used to but for a night of no tossing and turning and waking up pain free it is great! Now I just have to make a nice cover for it so it can go on top of my bed during the day. Live and Learn!

2 comments:

Joni said...

That's the ONLY way I can sleep when I'm pregnant. My hips are a mess.

Jill said...

Two words, Body...Pillow. I have been sleeping with one for about 10 years and have to get extra pillows at hotels and such. I cant sleep without support between my knees AND shoulders. My husband gets jealous. He calls it my other husband. But boy does it sure work. I personally recommend a satin cover, it makes turning over with it easier. I, of course, have a flannel one. Soft, but tricky to turn. Love my body pillow.